EPISODE 9: The 5 Mistakes I Made For My First 3 Hires (And How You Can Avoid Them)
No one can do it better than you do. -Hazel June
As service providers, we trade our time for money. If we stop working, our source of income also stops. So in order to remove ourselves from the business and stop trading dollars for hours, we would need to hire, delegate, outsource or automate the processes in our business.
5 Mistakes I Made and How to Refrain Them:
- Hiring someone to do the task I should be the one doing
If you are a new business owner, focus on doing the things that move the needle yourself first. Refine your process before outsourcing it.
- Not having a process in place
Everything must already be mapped out, so you and your team members are not missing anything and can work efficiently.
- Not setting proper expectations on communication, deadlines, and project management
Use project tools like Asana, Trello, and Slack for daily communications and setting deadlines.
- No success metrics to measure performance
You must have a way to measure if something's working and not.
- No proper onboarding
You must have a contract ready, set up expectations like tasks that need to be handled and how-to's.
Key Things to Learn from this Episode:
- No one can do it better than you do.
- It’s okay to make mistakes, as long as you learn from them.
- 3. Taking responsibility is a commitment to own your life.